A couple of people have commented on not knowing about ANZACS so I should mention that it stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps and ANZAC day is a day to commemorate those who fought at Gallipoli in WW1 (and also all those who've served in the armed forces)
1 1/2 cups sugar
Makes about 24
1. Mix together all dry ingredients except bi-carb.
2. Melt butter & syrup in a seperate bowl.
3. Dissolve in bi-carb soda with boiling water (be careful!!) then pour this mixture into the butter mixture and stir.
4. Add butter mixture to the dry indredients and mix well.
5. Roll mixture into balls and place on greased & lined trays flattening the balls out a little and leaving a fair sized gap as they expand. You will need a couple of trays or to bake in batches.
6. Bake on 170*c-180*c for around 12 minutes rotating the trays half way. Cook until golden brown- they will harden a bit on standing.
7. Drizzle melted chocolate onto each biscuit whilst still hot. Cool on cooling rack.
Other variations add 1/2 cup crushed nuts
a few raw blanched peanuts each
For futher info on the ANZACS please read:
I'm linking these to: